I am happy to provide copies of my academic articles via email request.
- 2022. “Mediating Pain: Navigating Endometriosis on Social Media.” Frontiers in Pain Research.
- 2022. 3rd author. “Towards a digital citizen lab for capturing data about alternative ways of self-managing chronic pain: An attitudinal user study.” Frontiers in Rehabilitative Science.
- 2021. 2nd author. “Play the Pain: A Digital Strategy for Play-Oriented Research and Action.” Frontiers in Psychiatry.
- 2020. 4th author. “For Whom the Games Toll: A Qualitative and Intergenerational Evaluation of What is Serious in Games for Older Adults.” The Computer Games Journal.
- 2018. “The Post and the Grab: Instagram Memes and Affective Labour.” Youth Mediations and Affective Relations. Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2018. “Between Artifice and Emotion: The ‘Sad Girls’ of Instagram.” Leadership, Popular Culture, and Social Change. Edward Elgar.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “#Endometriosis: The Role of Social Media in Endometriosis Care.” Young People and Endometriosis: Social Perspectives on the Delay to Diagnosis Webinar. 6 February 2022.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “Posting about Endometriosis.” Menstruation in the Media. Virtual. 21 Oct. 2021.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary, Sandra Woods, et al. “Principles for Designing an mHealth App for Participatory Research and Management of Chronic Pain.” HCII 2021. Virtual. 2021.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “‘Hysterics’ on the Web: Posting about Endometriois.” Theorizing the Web. Virtual. Hosted by The Museum of Moving Image. Watch online.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “#SeeMyInvisible: Witnessing Gendered Illness Online.” Annual Meeting of the Canadian Communication Association, Congress. Vancouver: University of British Columbia. 1 – 7 June 2019.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “Posting About Pain: Instagram Archives and Communities.” Women and Gender Studies et Recherches Féministes, Congress. Vancouver: University of British Columbia. 1 – 7 June 2019.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “Student Roundtable on Disability.” AccessXchange. Concordia University. 24 April 2019.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “‘The Devil is in the Fractions:’ Life Writing and Chronic Pain.” Sick Theories. Toronto: University of Toronto. 8 – 9 November 2018.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “Life Writing and Chronic Pain.” Vibe 2018. Montreal: Concordia University. 30 November – 2 December 2018.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary and Cody Walker. “A Game is a Diffractive Apparatus: Metagaming YouTube and Tool-Assisted Subversions.” SLSA 2017. 9 November – 12 November 2017.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “The Post and the Grab: Instagram Memes and Invisible Labour.” Annual Meeting of the Canadian Communication Association at Congress 2017. 30 May-2 June 2017.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “Embodied Gutters: Spatially (Re)constructing Ana Mendieta’s Life, Art,and Body in Where is Ana Mendieta?” Canadian Society for the Study of Comics. 11-12 May 2017.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “The Post and the Grab.”Concordia English Graduate Colloquium. 17-18 March 2017.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “Between Artifice and Emotion: The ‘Sad Girls’ of Instagram.” Congress: Canadian Communications Association. University of Calgary. 28-31 May 2016.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “Activism through Testimony: Narratives of Sexual Trauma in the Digital Age.” Digital Sociology Mini-Conference. The Boston Park Plaza Hotel and Towers. 17-20 March 2016.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “Between Artifice and Emotion: The ‘Sad Girls’ of Instagram.” Re:Turns Conference. York University. 11-12 March 2016.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary. “(Un)desirable Narratives: Reading Online Testimonies of Sexual Trauma.” DAGSE Conference. Halifax: Dalhousie University. 22 Aug. 2015.
- “Endometriosis: How advocacy, awareness and algorithms could shorten the long wait for diagnosis and treatment.” The Conversation. April 11, 2022. Click here to read.
- “What is endometriosis? Patients turn to social media for information and support.” The Conversation. June 1, 2021. Click here to read.
- “Participatory Making.” Pause Button. 1 May 2017. Click here to read.
- “Cabinet Shuffle: Strategizing Parliament.” Pause Button. 24 November 2016. Click here to read.
- Holowka, Eileen Mary and Ffionn Purcell. Critical Play QTs: Life is Strange. YouTube. 23 April 2016. Web. Click here to watch.
Other Professional Activity
- 2021. Volunteer with The Endometriosis Educational Organization of Canada.
- 2019. Adjudicator for the Canadian Disability Studies Student Paper Competition.
- 2018. Reviewer for Canadian Communication Association’s Conference Proceedings.
- 2015 – 2016. VP Administration for Concordia University’s English Graduate Student’s Association.
- 2015 – 2016. Member of Concordia University’s English Graduate Colloquium Committee.